Summer is a time of hot weather and sunny days.
There are backyard barbecues, street fairs and festivals, days at the beach, and outdoor celebrations. For many people in recovery, those events have always included their favorite alcohol or drug of choice. If this is your first sober summer, you will still have an enjoyable season, but you will have a different perspective from past years.
Being sober allows you to see things with a clear mind. It enables you to appreciate and enjoy the things around you regardless of how small they are. When you are sober, you are present in the moment. You are able to remember the good times you enjoyed and the wonderful things that happened. Take a look at the following activities to get some great ideas for sober fun in the summertime.
Be the Host
Be the host and invite your family and friends to a drug- and alcohol-free gathering or event that you have planned. The only limit is your imagination. You could host a themed dinner with friends. Have everyone bring a dish based on the theme you choose, such as Chinese or Mexican night, breakfast for dinner, or favorite childhood food night.
Here are a few more fun ideas for gatherings you could host:
- A mini film festival or game night with mocktails and snacks
- An ice cream social or homemade ice cream night
- A barbecue, pool party, or picnic
- A pot luck dinner or brunch
Go on a Scavenger Hunt
Gather a few adventurous friends and go on a scavenger hunt. You will spend a fun-filled afternoon searching for items in your town or neighborhood. If you have never planned a scavenger hunt, there are a few phone apps that will help.
Spending time outside at night under the stars is an experience to remember. Relax in your backyard on a warm, clear summer night and take in the view. Find the planets and constellations in the star-filled sky. You might even see a shooting star. Another great way to stargaze is to visit a nearby observatory or planetarium.
Find Your Inner Child
Spend a day with family or friends enjoying a waterpark such as Tennessee’s Dollywood’s Splash Country or Wild Bear Falls Water Park. Whether you enjoy the relaxing feeling of floating down the lazy river, the heart-pounding thrill of speeding down a steep water slide, or anything in between your day is sure to be filled with laughter, fun, and lasting memories.
Here are a few more ideas of how to have fun like a kid:
- Go horseback riding or ride a go-kart.
- Play miniature golf or go bowling.
- Play paintball or laser tag.
- Spend the day at an arcade or climb an indoor rock wall.
- Have fun in or on the water swimming, kayaking, snorkeling, or doing anything else you enjoy.
- Attend a street fair, festival, or outdoor concert.
Explore State, Local, or National Parks
Getting back to nature is always a good feeling and a wonderful adventure. Whether you spend a few days camping and exploring a state or national park, or a few hours hiking or biking along the trails of a local park, the beauty and power of nature will surround you.
If you live in the beautiful state of Tennessee, there are many magnificent parks throughout the state including:
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park – The beauty of the Smoky Mountains can be viewed from the observation tower on the top of the highest mountain peak, Clingmans Dome.
- Fall Creek Falls State Resort Park – Known for its unique geological formations, this beautiful park is home to the highest freefall waterfall east of the Mississippi River. Here you can enjoy exploring the trails, encountering the wildlife, and taking in the breathtaking views. You have a choice of camping, staying in a cabin, or staying at the inn.
- The Percy Warner Park in Nashville has a public forest and green space with bike, equestrian, and hiking trails.
A Few More Ideas
Here are more ways to have sober summertime fun:
- Give back to your community by volunteering.
- Put together a playlist of your favorite summer songs.
- Enjoy a good book while relaxing in a lounge chair or a hammock.
- Visit an art gallery or a museum.
- Take up a new hobby or enjoy a favorite hobby.
- Plant a garden.
There Is Help Available
If you or a loved one is seeking help for an alcohol or drug problem, you can find the help you need at English Mountain Recovery located in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. As an established and experienced addiction treatment and drug rehab center, English Mountain Recovery provides life-changing care to people suffering with a substance use disorder and their families.